OPEN POSITION: Full-Time Software Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Product Development
Species360 is a unique blend of a software company, non-profit organization and global leader in wildlife care and conservation. Our mission is to facilitate international collaboration in the collection and sharing of knowledge on animals and their environments for zoos, aquariums and related conservation organizations to serve institutional, regional and global animal management and conservation goals.
Species360 serves over 1,200 zoos and aquariums in 100 countries. Our ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System) web-based platform is the world standard software used to manage 10 million animals and over 22,000 species, including many that are threatened or even extinct in the wild. By aggregating, analyzing, and sharing data, Species360 improves animal inventory management, institutional planning, staff efficiencies, and cost management.
We have staff in Minneapolis (Worldwide Headquarters), the Netherlands, Israel, and Denmark. We are seeking Twin-Cities-based staff; however, we are 100% work-from-home.
We are seeking qualified, experienced professionals for our software engineer team.
Species360 software engineers are primarily responsible for designing and building software that serves our members. Our software engineers develop cloud-based software-as-a-service, responsive and mobile applications, and data reporting and analytics in an Agile environment. Our software engineers are innovative problem solvers who love continuous learning. The team produces code that is highly available and fault tolerant, and they help improve the quality and uptime for all of our software products. You’ll collaborate with product owners, quality assurance engineers, infrastructure administrators, and other onshore and offshore developers in an Agile environment.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product owners, business analysts, leadership, and other engineers to achieve effective software solutions
- Maintain, improve and extend the current software solution to enhance the customer experience.
- Design reusable and testable software solution
- Complete development tasks to include software design, programming and testing
- Develop database stored procedures, triggers, and functions to meet product requirements
- Develop SQL to conduct and provide datasets for data analysis
- Develop user-interface layers to add, manipulate, extract, and analyze data
- Review and help troubleshoot code, architecture, infrastructure, or integration issues with peers quickly and efficiently
- Produce appropriate documentation for designs, code and processes
- Follow the software development lifecycle guidelines and processes
- Participate in SCRUM/Agile development methodology
- Develop software in a continuous integration, deployment and release environment
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 1 year working in software development
- Demonstrated skills with ability to develop and implement software products in a cross-functional environment
- Able to transform requirements and designs into efficient, elegant and performant software solutions
Knowledge of or familiarity with:
- User interface and user experience principles and best practices.
- Agile development methodologies like Scrum and the associated process.
- Microsoft technology stack like Windows Server, Internet Information Service (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Unit testing technologies like Karma, Jasmine, Unit, etc.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal relationship-building skills
- Effective problem-solving skills
- internal and external customer service and team orientation
- Able to explain complicated/technical concepts to less experienced audiences
- Self-motivated, fast learner, able to work independently, shows initiative, willing to seek out help
- Able to plan, prioritize, coordinate, multi-task and complete work assignments within deadlines
- Ability to periodically travel domestically or internationally, if needed
Our Work Culture: All are Welcome Here
Species360 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve a diverse, global population of members and welcome and value diversity in our team. While we aren’t perfect, we strive to be an organization that is a diverse blend of talented people that want to come, stay, and do their best work to make a difference in this world.
Our Benefits: We offer generous time off benefits, combining holidays and vacation into one PTO benefit for maximum employee flexibility. PTO benefits start accruing at 5 weeks per year. In addition, we provide 10 paid sick days each year and 8 weeks of paid parenting leave. We also provide home office equipment, supplies and an office set-up stipend.
Our insurance benefits include two medical plan options (with two provider networks each), dental, life, short term and long term disability as well as a 401(k) plan you can contribute to immediately at hire.
The most important benefit to working at Species360 is our team. We offer a casual, personable, respectful, and fun work environment. Our employees are committed to the open communication culture where we value partnering to achieve the greatest results for our members. We are transparent in our operations, have an all-employee staff meeting monthly, an annual staff retreat, and encourage peer recognition and celebration.
If this sounds like the position and work culture you’ve been seeking, please send your resume to us at careers@Species360.org.
EOE – LGBTQIA