DEPARTMENT: Product Development
Species360 is a unique blend of a software company, non-profit organization and global leader in wildlife care and conservation. Our mission is to facilitate international collaboration in the collection and sharing of knowledge on animals and their environments for zoos, aquariums and related conservation organizations to serve institutional, regional and global animal management and conservation goals.
Species360 serves over 1,200 zoos and aquariums in 100 countries. Our ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System) web-based platform is the world standard software used to manage 10 million animals and over 22,000 species, including many that are threatened or even extinct in the wild. By aggregating, analyzing, and sharing data, Species360 improves animal inventory management, institutional planning, staff efficiencies, and cost management.
We have staff in Minneapolis (Worldwide Headquarters), the Netherlands, Israel, and Denmark. We are seeking Twin-Cities-based staff; however, we are 100% work-from-home.
About the job
- As a Senior Software Engineer, you are primarily responsible for designing and developing effective web-based software solutions and drive new technologies and processes to maintain, improve and extend the current software solution to enhance the customer experience.
- You will Provide design oversight to software engineers, applying software best practices, identifying and resolving design deficiencies
- You will mentor and coach software engineers, educating them on coding style and best practices, reusable design principles and software development lifecycle and related processes
- You will plan, design and build reusable and testable software solutions
- You develop database stored procedures, triggers, and functions to meet product requirements and develop SQL to conduct and provide datasets for data analysis
- You will develop user-interface layers to add, manipulate, extract, and analyze data
- You will review and help troubleshoot code, architecture, infrastructure, or integration issues with peers quickly and efficiently
Why You’ll Love This Role
- Your work directly impacts the future of wildlife conservation around the world.
- We are a truly collaborative work environment. You will collaborate cross-functionally with product owners, business analysts, leadership, and other engineers to achieve effective software solutions.
- As an expert, you will provide technical and design leadership to the software development team.
- You will plan and implement software solutions, ensuring that business and technical needs are addressed
- You will develop software in a continuous integration, deployment, and release environment.
- You will tap into your technology creativity, investigating and suggesting new technology and other innovative solutions to enhance our current processes and eliminate inefficiencies.
- You will utilize SCRUM/Agile development methods to achieve the goal of fast, iterative software development.
- Be able to work independently as well as part of a team to perform software design, programming, and testing.
- Species360 embraces diversity and you can bring your authentic self to work.
Why We’ll Love You
- You have 5 or more years of full-time development experience.
- You are a great leader and have 2+ years of experience in leading and/or mentoring other software developers
- You have experience in high-level software design using design best practices and in developing and implementing software development processes like branching models, workflows and release processes.
- Some of your core strengths are your verbal and written communication skills, and ability to explain complicated/technical concepts to less experienced audiences.
- You love to solve problems, can prioritize small and large projects and are self-motivated.
More About Species360
Species360 members address today’s most urgent wildlife issues, including establishing best practices in husbandry, enrichment, medical care, welfare, reproduction, population management, and biodiversity. Our ZIMS software vastly increases what is known about thousands of species and is instrumental in identifying sustainability strategies for many of the species assessed as vulnerable, endangered, and extinct in the wild.
Species360 provides conservationists with evidence-based findings integrating the full scope of global data, including IUCN Red List, CITES, TRAFFIC, EDGE, AZE, ZIMS, and more. Research led in collaboration with IUCN Species Survival Commission, CITES, and others drives insightful decisions on many levels, from enforcing illegal wildlife trade laws to calculating viability of insurance populations. The Species360 Conservation Science Alliance works alongside international conservation, research, and academic institutions to answer questions critical to saving species.
We offer generous time off benefits, combining holidays and vacation into one Paid Time Off benefit for maximum employee flexibility. You start accruing at 5 weeks per year. We provide 10 paid sick days plus 8 weeks of paid parenting leave. We offer medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance as well as a 401(k) plan you can contribute to immediately at hire. We also provide home office equipment, supplies and an office set-up stipend.
The most important benefit to working at Species360 is our team. We offer a casual, personable, respectful, and fun work environment. Our employees are committed to an open communication culture where we value partnering to achieve the greatest results for our members. We are transparent in our operations, have an all-employee staff meeting monthly, an annual staff retreat, and encourage peer recognition and celebration.
Species360 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve a diverse, global population of members and welcome and value diversity in our team. We strive to be an organization that is a diverse blend of talented people that want to come, stay, and do their best work to make a difference in this world.
If this sounds like the position and work culture you’ve been seeking, please send your resume and cover letter to us at techcareers@Species360.org.
EOE – LGBTQIA