OPEN POSITION: Full-Time Software Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Product Development
Are you interested in developing technology that will help drive global species conservation efforts?
Species360 is a unique blend of a software company, a non-profit organization, and a global leader in animal wildlife care and conservation.
Our technology platform, ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System), is the world’s most comprehensive database of more than 22,000 species and 10,000,000 animals. ZIMS is instrumental in identifying sustainability strategies for many of the species assessed as vulnerable, endangered, and extinct in the wild.
Our members use ZIMS to help address today’s most urgent wildlife issues, including establishing best practices in husbandry, enrichment, medical care, welfare, reproduction, population management, and biodiversity. We serve over 1,200 zoos, aquariums, and wildlife facilities in almost 100 countries with their animal management needs. For more information about us, our conservation partners and members, please check here: Species360.org.
Species360 is head-quartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, but embraces a fully remote workforce strategy. The Software Engineer position can be based virtually anywhere in North America. If you have one or more years of full-time professional experience as a software engineer, we welcome your application. At this time, we are not considering upcoming or recently graduated candidates.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Role: As a full-time Software Engineer, you will:
- Design and develop effective web-based software solutions that improve and extend our current ZIMS platform and future technology services and enhance our member experience
- Design and build reusable and testable software solutions
- Develop database stored procedures, triggers, and functions to meet our product requirements
- Develop SQL to conduct and provide datasets for data analysis
- Develop user-interface layers to add, manipulate, extract, and analyze data
- Review and help troubleshoot code, architecture, infrastructure, or integration issues with peers quickly and efficiently
- Be a part of collaborative design reviews to help promote the understanding and technical development of the team
- See your software delivered to our members in a continuous integration, deployment, and release environment
Why You’ll Love This Role
- Your work directly impacts the future of wildlife conservation around the world
- We are a truly collaborative work environment. You will collaborate cross-functionally with zoological experts, research scientists, product owners, business analysts, leadership, and other engineers to achieve effective software solutions.
- You will be a part of a team that embraces technology creativity, investigates and suggests new technology and other innovative solutions to support our members and conservation partners around the globe
- You will be a part of an Agile/Scrum product team that delivers solutions for the animal management and husbandry needs, medical needs, or population management needs of our members
- You will be able to work independently as well as part of a team to perform software design, programming and testing
- Species360 embraces diversity and we want you to bring your authentic self to work
Why We’ll Love You
- You have 1 or more years of full-time experience working on software development in a professional setting
- You have demonstrated skills with ability to develop and implement software products in a cross-functional team
- You will learn how to transform animal management and conservation requirements and designs into efficient, elegant, and performant software solutions
- You have knowledge of or familiarity with database development and back-end technologies like Microsoft SQL Server or other SQL variants
- You have experience in an Agile development methodology like Scrum and the associated process
- You have experience and understanding of web-based protocols like HTTP/HTTPS, HTML, XML, CSS, and JSON
- You have knowledge of or familiarity with: Continuous integration processes and tools like Bamboo, Jenkins, Hudson; Source code control principles and tools like CVS, SVN, Git, Bitbucket.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal relationship-building and customer service skills
- You love to solve problems as well as plan, prioritize, multi-task and complete work assignments within deadlines
- You can explain complicated/technical concepts to non-technical team members and audiences
- You are a fast learner, able to work independently, show initiative, and willing to seek out help when needed
We offer generous time off benefits, combining holidays and vacation into one Paid Time Off benefit for maximum employee flexibility. You start accruing at 5 weeks per year. We provide 10 paid sick days plus 8 weeks of paid parenting leave. We offer medical, dental, life, short term and long term disability insurance as well as a 401(k) plan you can contribute to immediately at hire. We also provide home office equipment, supplies and an office set-up stipend.
The most important benefit to working at Species360 is our team. We offer a casual, personable, respectful, and fun work environment. Our employees are committed to an open communication culture where we value partnering to achieve the greatest results for our members. We are transparent in our operations, have an all-employee staff meeting monthly, an annual staff retreat, and encourage peer recognition and celebration.
Species360 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve a diverse, global population of members and welcome and value diversity in our team. We strive to be an organization that is a diverse blend of talented people that want to come, stay, and do their best work to make a difference in this world.
If this sounds like the position and work culture you’ve been seeking, please send us your resume at techcareers@Species360.org
EOE – LGBTQIA