Species360 is a unique blend of a software company, a non-profit organization, and a global leader in animal wildlife care and conservation.
We are seeking a detail-oriented individual experienced in veterinary medicine and electronic medical records to serve in the role of part-time Product Analyst / Business Analyst at 20 hours per week.
The Product Analyst works with our Product Owners, Software Engineers and the Species360 member community to help design our medical software products. Primary responsibilities include: gathering feedback on product needs, conducting product user interviews, writing user stories, documenting software development decision-making processes, conducting process and data analyses, and performing user acceptance and bug testing
Our technology platform, ZIMS (Zoological Information Management System), is the world’s most comprehensive database of more than 22,000 species and 10,000,000 animals. ZIMS is instrumental in identifying sustainability strategies for many of the species assessed as vulnerable, endangered, and extinct in the wild.
Our members use ZIMS to help address today’s most urgent wildlife issues, including establishing best practices in husbandry, enrichment, medical care, welfare, reproduction, population management, and biodiversity. We serve over 1,200 zoos, aquariums, and wildlife facilities in almost 100 countries with their animal management needs. For more information about us, our conservation partners and members, please check here: Species360.org.
Species360 is head-quartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and embraces a fully remote workforce strategy. The Product Analyst position can be based virtually anywhere in mainland United States.
If you have two or more years of professional veterinary medical experience working in a zoo or aquarium, we welcome your application.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Role: As a part-time Product Analyst, you will:
- Serve as bridge between Species360 product owners and software engineers to help design effective software products
- Gather critical information from stakeholders to evaluate zoological and aquatic processes to define software requirements, data needs, and areas for improvement
- Anticipate user needs and identify solutions
- Analyze the impacts of proposed software solutions
- Analyze, prepare, and manage product enhancements
- Use tools and concepts, such as cost/benefit analysis, metrics assessment, payback period, risk mitigation, and return on investment, to maximize product development
- Conduct meetings and presentations with internal and external partners to gather feedback related to business processes
- Perform software development test activities
- Test results to ensure that software solutions meet intended needs and requirements of the user story
- Perform and assess testing of software products to ensure user needs are met
- Serve as liaison between internal and external stakeholders and users
- Assess the urgency and help prioritize the resolution of software bugs
- Support the development and delivery of effective software products
- Plan and monitor user utilization and product performance to ensure the effective development of features, modules, and projects
- Propose updates and enhancements to the products and to internal development processes to achieve continual improvement
- Partner with product owners, scrum master and development team to prioritize initiatives based on business needs and requirements
- Document business rules and use cases as they evolve within product development
- Act as a liaison for the product and member support teams to communicate product updates and/or receive questions from support
- Use metrics and quantitative data to support product teams in their product development decision
- Assist with developing member communications and developing and delivering training content
Why You’ll Love This Role
- You love contributing to the development of software tools that support the zoo and aquarium community
- You have a passion for improving processes and systems and coordinating efforts to making sure we offer high quality user experiences
- You will be a part of a team that embraces technology creativity, investigates and suggests new technology and other innovative solutions to support our members and conservation partners around the globe
- Your work directly impacts the future of wildlife conservation around the world
- We are a truly collaborative work environment. You will collaborate cross-functionally with zoological experts, research scientists, product owners, business analysts, leadership, and other engineers to achieve effective software solutions.
- You will be able to work independently as well as part of a team to support our membership in developing great software products
- Species360 embraces diversity and we want you to bring your authentic self to work
Why We’ll Love You
- You have at least 2 years of veterinary medical experience, including but not limited to: test methodology, pharmacology, and clinical responses and outcomes
- You have experience with electronic medical records and/or veterinary zoo and aquarium software, which includes ZIMS user experience preferred
- You are experienced in or interesting in growing your skills to evaluate and enhance software applications to enhance our members’ utilization of our ZIMS software
- Demonstrated skill and ability to deliver software products or related services that deliver member value in a cross-functional environment, preferred
- You have experience managing elaborate projects, from needs assessment, clarifying objectives, setting timelines and milestones, coordinating implementation within teams, and achieving quality results
- You have a natural analytical way of thinking and enjoy identifying issues and solving problems
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and are able to explain difficult concepts to non-technical users
- You have the ability to accurately describe detailed steps needed to accomplish a task or replicate a software problem
- You have exceptional customer service skills and interpersonal relationship-building
- You can plan, prioritize, coordinate and complete a high volume of work assignments within deadlines
- You are a fast learner, able to work independently, show initiative, and willing to seek out help when needed
- You are able to interact respectfully and effectively with people from any country, some of whom may not be proficient in English
Our Work Culture: All Are Welcome Here
Species360 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve a diverse, global population of members and welcome and value diversity in our team. We strive to be an organization that is a diverse blend of talented people that want to come, stay, and do their best work to make a difference in this world.
We are 100% work-from-home.
We offer generous time off benefits, combining holidays and vacation into one Paid Time Off benefit for maximum employee flexibility. You start accruing PTO at 5 weeks per year and receive 10 paid sick days per year, both pro-rated for a 20-hour work week.
We also offer part-time employees life, short term and long term disability insurance. Additionally, you can start contributing immediately to our 401(k) plan, which includes a generous employer contribution.
We also provide an office set-up stipend for home office equipment and supplies, in addition to required technology and computer.
The compensation range for this position is $30.00 – $35.00 per hour based on experience.
The most important benefit to working at Species360 is our team. We offer a casual, personable, respectful, and fun work environment. Our employees are committed to an open communication culture where we value partnering to achieve the greatest results for our members. We are transparent in our operations, have an all-employee staff meeting monthly, an annual staff retreat, and encourage peer recognition and celebration.
If this sounds like the position and work culture you’ve been seeking, please send us your resume and cover letter to careers@Species360.org.
EOE – LGBTQIA