Species360 has three membership categories: 1) zoological institutions (including zoos, aquariums, sanctuaries, rescue/rehab facilities, and other applicants who manage an animal collection under their care), 2) regional zoological associations (which do not manage an animal collection), and 3) universities and colleges (to use the LearnZIMS teaching platform in their classes). Each membership category gives members access to our extensive global database of animal husbandry and medical records.
- Unlimited access to ZIMS for animal and institution data management. Access includes ZIMS for Husbandry, ZIMS for Medical, ZIMS for Studbooks, Support for Aquariums.
- Unlimited number of users with login rights.
- Unlimited access to globally pooled data, including species holding, specimen records, physiological norms, weight comparison graphs and population overview reports.
- Unlimited access to ZIMS data output reports and the ability to export multiple data sources to Excel, PDF and other outputs.
- Unlimited access to the Species360 team of member support representatives.
- Unlimited access to free training resources, including: monthly webinars, topical help pages, downloadable PowerPoint and online training aides, and a growing list of community support training documents.
- Formal representation in Species360
- Licensed use of ZIMS software and access to pooled data
- Access to workshops, training courses and presentations on data management or other appropriate topics
- Regional studbook support
- Regular communications to all our association members
- A LearnZIMS educational license providing teachers and students with a fear-free learning environment that allows students to master ZIMS skills before accessing live data.
- An educational license insures that graduating students enter the zoological workplace with competitive, state-of-the-art record keeping skills.
- Access to Species360’s comprehensive training content library is provided to educational partners for use in developing your curriculum.
- Read-only access to some live ZIMS database functionalities, including Species Holding
Membership Cost: Supporting Institutions Large and Small
Species360 supports over 1,200 members in 100 countries in a complex and varied global environment. In an effort to balance fairness with inclusivity across this growing membership, a sliding scale membership pricing model is used based on the size of the institution. This ensures that smaller members pay a lower fee than our larger facilities, as long as they can meet the minimum annual fee. Determining the ‘size’ of the member incorporates various characteristics – including annual expense budget, visitor numbers, number of animal care staff, number of animals and species, and number of enclosures.
Starting in 2017, the Species360 Board of Trustees decided not to annually recalculate member renewal fees based on the above characteristics due to member difficulties in budget planning and the heavy administrative burden. Instead, once an initial membership fee is agreed to, the renewal fee is simply increased by a fixed annual inflation adjustment on the previous year’s fee. This new fee structure made it simpler for members to calculate and budget, and also provided a lower renewal fee for many members.
Additionally, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on members’ financial position, the trustees approved in 2020 a temporary suspension of this inflation adjustment on membership renewals.
To learn more about Species360 membership, contact us at Support@Species360.org